Japan Visa Requirements〔水野健司特許法律事務所〕

  • japanese
  • english
  • chinese


Japan Visa Requirements
Japan offers many different visas. When applying for a visa overseas it will be helpful to check what preferential arrangements your country has with Japan to ensure a visa application that fits your situation best. To enter Japan, a visitor must comply with the conditions of visa he has and authorizations of resident eligibility.
■ Temporary Visitor’s Visa
Japan has a visa waiver program with 67 countries. Citizens of these countries having
visa exemption arrangements with Japan can arrive in Japan only with the passport without going through any procedure in advance, unless intended to stay for a long period or work. Some of countries which have a visa waiver agreement with Japan are:
■       Australia – up to 90 days
■       Canada – within 3 months
■       Korea – up to 90 days
■       New Zealand – up to 90 days
■       Singapore – within 3 months
■       United States – up to 90 days
■       United Kingdom – up to six months
Countries which don’t have a visa exemption agreement with Japan, citizens will need to apply for temporary visitor’s visa. A Temporary Visitor’s Visa is usually required as permission to stay in Japan for up to 90 days for nonremunerative activities such as tour, visiting relatives, attending conferences, or other similar activities.
Temporary visitor’s visa applications require:
  1. A valid passport
  2. A visa application form (available through Japanese Embassy)
  3. Two passport-size photos
  4. Proof of return ticket or funds to purchase a return ticket to country of origin
  5. Proof of financial income to support oneself while in Japan
  6. Proof of medical insurance
These documents are required for every visa application unless otherwise indicated.
■ For working visa – to live and work in Japan you will need to apply for a work visa. Work visas are issued for specific fields.
  1. Application Form
  2. Passport
  3. Certificate of Eligibility
  4. Contract with employer, letter of appointment, invitation letter, or any other documents to prove activities, position, salary, period you will need to stay in Japan etc.
  5. Company’s certificate of registry
  6. Company’s most recent financial statements
  7. Company’s withholding tax report
  8. Description of the company’s activities (brochure, catalogues, printed web pages)
  9. Curriculum Vitae/Resume
  10. Certificates of degree, certified transcripts, certificates of diploma, training, awards or qualifications
  11. Documents to prove your previous working experience (letters from your former employers, etc.)
  12. Portrait Photo (3cmx4cm)
■ Certificate of Eligibility
Most of the applicants who wish to enter Japan under the categories of Working, General or Specified visas, should obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). This document is issued by the Ministry of Justice in Japan. To obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, a sponsor in Japan such as employer, a relative, a school etc. is required. The sponsor in Japan must contact the local Immigration Office to apply for COE.
Required documents for applicants holding Certificate of Eligibility are:
  1. Application Form
  2. Photo (4cmx3cm)
  3. A return-mail envelope affixed with stamp(s)
  4. Supporting documents
■ For a visa granted according to family status
  1. Application Form
  2. Passport
  3. One Photograph
  4. Documents proving your relation based on which your visa will be granted, such as Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate, Family Registry, Resident Certificate
  5. Letter of Guarantee
  6. Documents to prove your income (certification of employment and the most recent tax payment certificate)
■ Spouse Visa Requirements
Applicants who would like to apply for a Japanese spouse visa, the following documents must be presented at an immigration office or Japanese embassy:
  1. A valid passport
  2. A completed & signed spouse visa application form
  3. A recent photograph
  4. An official copy of the Japanese spouse’s family register, showing marriage registration
  5. A letter of guarantee from the Japanese spouse
  6. The Japanese spouse’s passport and an official copy of the spouse’s certificate of residence
Depending on the nationality of the applicants, additional documents may be requested where necessary in addition to the list above,
Obtaining a proper status of residence is a prerequisite to a start a life in Japan, however it can be difficult to get the right visa. Don’t take chances with your visa, it will be helpful to ask a lawyer for an assistance.
Planning to apply for a Japan Visa? Mizuno Kenji Patent and Law can assist you with obtaining an appropriate Japan Visa. We also offer services to help you get the most out of your precious time in Japan.
  1. Ministry of Foreign Affairs: VISA/Residing in Japan: www.mofa.go.jpsss
Immigration Bureau of Japan: Application for Certificate of Eligibility: www.immi-moj.go.jp
特許の紛争・交渉・訴訟に関するお問い合わせは052-218-6790 お気軽にご相談ください
  • お問い合わせ
  • 個人の方へ

TEL:052-218-6790 FAX:052-218-6791